I love these turkey meatballs.
Disclaimer: This is sort of a loose recipe. I use whatever fresh herbs I have. If I don't have many, I use dried. I just try not to add oregano since it used to be my go-to, over-used, everything-tasted-the-same herb.
Note: I ALWAYS double the recipe because my kiddos (even the picky one) love them. They even eat them SANS ketchup (gasp) and my husband likes to put them on his spinach salads.
Ingredients / things you need
- Nonstick cooking spray / coconut oil
- 1.5 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats - not cooked (I use slow-cooking ones, but quick oats are fine, too.)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I use a garlic press.)
- 4-5 sprigs of parsley (tsp or so of dried)
- 4-5 springs of fresh thyme (tsp or so of dried)
- 2-4 springs of rosemary (only if you like it. Optional.)
- 12 or so fresh basil leaves (optional)
- About 1 cup of fresh tomatoes /or 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, no sugar added (I use grape tomatoes, but any tomato will do.)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with spray / coconut oil - set aside.
3. Combine turkey, salt, dry mustard, paprika, egg, oats, garlic, thyme and rosemary in bowl.
4. Throw tomatoes and basil leaves in blender, immersion blender or nutri/magic bullet and puree up to whatever consistency you like. Add at least 2 TBSP of puree to turkey. (I usually add more.)
5. Mix by hand.
6. Roll mixture into 30 1-inch meatballs. Be careful not to make them too big. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle.
If you plan on freezing them, put them in the freezer on the cookie sheet after they're cooked, then pull them out and put in a ziplock bag to store. That way, they don't stick together.
Note: This is a super "loose" recipe. I literally use herbs I have on hand. Sometimes I add minced sautéed onion. Next time I'd like to try to sneak in some slivered carrots.
21 Day Fixers: This will make you six servings, 5 meatballs each. One serving = 1 red and 1/2 yellow.